Congressional Affairs Fellowship
ProgressiveCongress.org supports a current or recent undergraduate or graduate student with a full-time Congressional Affairs fellowship located at the Progressive Congress main office in Washington, DC.
WHO WE ARE?
ProgressiveCongress.org is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to connect grassroots leaders, organizations, and Congressional offices to build a more powerful and cohesive progressive movement, so that we can win concrete victories for our values. In collaboration with the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC), we foster vital partnerships on a host of issues, including:
- Economic opportunity for all;
- Peace and global security;
- Energy independence and environmental sustainability;
- Civil rights, civil liberties, and human rights;
- Immigration justice and a pathway to citizenship
- Public health;
- Education and more.
The ProgressiveCongress.org Congressional Affairs Fellowship is designed for emerging leaders who want to develop their own professional skills in policy and social change through learning from and working within a strong legislative policy operation on Capitol Hill. The position works closely with the Senior staff of the Progressive Congress.org, as well as with the CPC Executive Director and Co-Chair Offices to implement strategies that advance both organizational needs and progressive legislative goals while fulfilling fellowship requirements of Progressive Congress.org. Fellows can expect to leave this position with a foundational understanding: of how Congress operates on a day to day basis, the importance that media and messaging play in today’s political environment, how to successful host a major conference, and comprehensive understanding of how non-profit business functions.
- Work with Progressive Congress.org to connect with Progressive organizations across labor, environmental, and social justice movements on collaborative advocacy efforts.
- Draft, edit, and distribute reports and policy materials for the organization.
- Work with Progressive Congress.org staff to manage the Progressive Congress Congressional Messenger Program. Responsibilities include:
- Reaching out to congressional staff about the program and briefing schedule.
- Gather and edit video footage of congressional offices that participate in the weekly briefings.
- Working with Progressive Congress staff, CPC staff, and our Media
- Work with Progressive Congress staff to coordinate, plan, and execute the Progressive Congress Strategy Summit. Responsibilities include:
- Contacting Progressive movement leaders, inviting them to the summit
- Coordinating with Congressional offices to sure ethics paperwork is submitted in a timely and correct fashion
- Engage with Members of Congress, summit attendees, and personal deemed necessary in a professional manner.
- Work with President to develop a program around a progressive issue area of your choice.
- Meet with CPC staff, and fellows to promote your program solution
- Research potential partner foundations and organizations.
- Work with the President to understand and learn the operations and business components of both the Progressive Congress C3 and Progressive Congress Action Fund C4.
- Work with Progressive Congress staff to draft, edit, and finalize weekly informational and fundraising emails.
- Work with the finance team to track and maximize supporter donations.
- A strong commitment to and passion for Progressive Values
- Ability to produce high-quality materials quickly and professionally, with attention to nuance
- Self-starter with ability to work on several simultaneous projects with minimal direct supervision
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and GoogleDocs
- Organizing skills